Sat, 11 Jul 2020

BEIJING, May 30 (Xinhua) -- The following are the updates on the global fight against the COVID-19 pandemic.

- - - -

WELLINGTON -- There is only one active case of the COVID-19 left in New Zealand as there has been no new case in the country for eight consecutive days, said a statement of the Ministry of Health on Saturday.

This means New Zealand's combined total number of confirmed and probable cases stays at 1,504, of which 1,154 are confirmed, it said.

- - - -

BEIJING -- Chinese health authority said Saturday that no new domestically transmitted COVID-19 cases were reported on the Chinese mainland on Friday.

Four imported cases were reported on the mainland, including two in Shandong, one in Shanghai and one in Guangdong, the National Health Commission said in its daily report, adding that one new suspected case imported from abroad was reported in Shanghai.

- - - -

RIO DE JANEIRO -- Brazil has the fifth highest death toll from COVID-19 in the world, after registering over 1,000 deaths in 24 hours and raising the total to 27,878, the government said on Friday.

According to the country's Ministry of Health, in the last 24 hours, 1,124 deaths were reported, leading Brazil to surpass Spain as the country with the fifth highest number of fatalities, behind the United States, the United Kingdom, Italy, and France.

- - - -

WASHINGTON -- U.S. President Donald Trump said on Friday that his country is "terminating" its relationship with the World Health Organization (WHO).

"We will be today terminating our relationship with the World Health Organization and redirecting those funds to other worldwide and deserving urgent global public health needs," Trump said during a press conference at the White House.

In a letter to WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus earlier this month, Trump threatened to permanently cut off the nation's funding to the WHO and "reconsider our membership" if the international body does not commit to what he called "substantive improvements within the next 30 days."

- - - -

NEW YORK -- New York City, the epicenter of the COVID-19 pandemic in the United States, is set to enter phase one of the reopening process on June 8, New York State Governor Andrew Cuomo said on Friday.

"We are on track to open on June 8," Cuomo said at his daily briefing, adding that the city is expected to meet all seven metrics set by the state for a phased reopening before that day.

The city, currently with 199,038 cases according to the city tally and the only region in the state that remains under the "PAUSE" order, still has to get enough hospital beds available before reopening.

- - - -

RABAT -- European Union (EU) has granted Morocco 157 million euros (172 million U.S. dollars) to support the fight against the coronavirus pandemic.

According to a joint statement issued on Friday by the Moroccan Ministry of Finance and the EU delegation in Rabat, the payment made on May 26 is aimed to support the state budget.

This financial payment was made within the framework of support programs of the EU in particular to the areas of health, social protection, training and education, and to the competitiveness of businesses and green growth, the statement added.

More Venezuela News

Access More

Sign up for Venezuela News

a daily newsletter full of things to discuss over drinks.and the great thing is that it's on the house!